Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My Retro-esque AR-15

I currently only own one AR-15. Instead of joining the herd and tacticaling out my AR with the latest and greatest tacticool accessories, I'm taking a trip back to the beginning. A while back I decided I was going to try and make a true "retro" style carbine. After a bit of research I decided that while it sounds like a noble pursuit, at this time it's a little beyond my means to make it truly authentic. So I've decided to make it "retro-esque"; making it look old, but maybe not 100% historically correct.

What I've Got So Far:

- I started with an XM-177 Upper from Model 1 Sales. I opted for the completed upper with a bolt carrier and charging handle. The nice part of Model 1 Sales is that your parts with any combination of configurations your heart desires. I chose to go with a fixed sight A2 upper, slot flashider, and I added a carbine length triangle hand guard for good measure.

- For the lower I used a DPMS complete lower from an AP4 whose upper I used to build a retirement gift for my father. I'm going to go ahead and keep this. The markings aren't correct, but I'm really just going for aesthetics.

- I was gifted a 2 position buffer tube, CAR stock, and a flat slip ring all of unknown manufacture from a good friend.

- I found an original A1 pistol grip at a local gun show for $7. Money well spent.

What I Still Need To Get:

- An A1 upper. I am trying to find one with the dustcover and forward assist, but no brass deflector.

- A 20 round straight magazine.

- One of the old school fixed power scopes that mounts on the carry handle. Again, this doesn't have to be authentic, one of the new Chinese copies will work just fine.

- A teardrop shaped forward assist button.

- Some kind of old school sling.

What I Might Add:

- A triangle charging handle.

- A partial fence lower without markings or one with more authentic looking markings.

- I thought about trying to find either an original or reproduction of the moderators on the original XM-177s, but based on different opinions online these may or may not be regulated like suppressors. Also it would turn my rifle into an SBR and that's something I'm not willing to do for this one.




This is a poorly made rendition of what I am trying to build.

You know the big thing (other than cost) that really turned me off from trying to make a true retro gun was the people in the forums I visited while doing research. I saw pictures of guns that looked amazing followed by pages of harsh words and criticisms for not having the right parts, non original parts etc. That kind of killed it for me. I decided I was just going to make one that I would be happy with, and to hell with everyone else's opinion.


 I'll keep updating as I add new parts or undoubtedly change my mind about something. If you have any interest in building a retro AR and want to be as authentic as possible, check out NoDak Spud LLC. They build new manufactured retro parts. Otherwise make it yours. Make it what YOU want, not what people tell you it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment